What is withdrawal?
Withdrawal is the process of removing the penis from the vagina prior to ejaculation.
How does withdrawal work?
Withdrawal works by having the male partner remove his penis before he ejaculates. Ejaculation occurs
outside the vagina reducing the likelihood that semen will reach the uterus.
How do you use withdrawal?
The responsibility belongs to the man. He pays attention to stimulation and seeks to withdraw his penis
prior to ejaculation.
How effective is withdrawal?
Typical use of withdrawal, which is how most people use it, has a failure rate of approximately 18-19%. You
should take a pregnancy test if you are experiencing any pregnancy symptoms.
What are the side effects or health risks of withdrawal?
Outside of the transmission of sexually transmitted diseases, withdrawal does not possess any side effects
or health risks as a means of birth control.
Is withdrawal reversible?
Yes. Withdrawal does not have any effects on either the male or female reproductive function. It is possible
to get pregnant immediately if withdrawal is no longer used.
How much does withdrawal cost?
What about withdrawal and sexually transmitted diseases (STD's)?
Withdrawal does not prevent the vagina from coming in contact with your partner's skin. Because of
pre-ejaculate excretions, withdrawal does not prevent the vagina from coming in contact with bodily fluids.
Withdrawal should NOT be considered as a means for protection against the transmission of sexually transmitted
What are the pros & cons for withdrawal?
The Pros of the Withdrawal Method:
- Withdrawal can be used every time
- Withdrawal may be added to other forms of birth control to increase
- Withdrawal is free
- Withdrawal does not require a prescription or manipulation of some
The Cons of the Withdrawal Method:
- Withdrawal is not considered a reliable form of birth control
- The woman must have complete trust on the man's ability to withdraw
- Pre-ejaculation, which may contain sperm, occurs without the knowledge of
- Some men have difficulty timing their withdrawal